Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The end of an era!

Today was a day, much like any other, yet completely different. I went to work at the same place I have gone for the last 12.5 years, but yet not the same.

A year ago the company I worked for was sold. Something I definitely did not expect. When I first started working at my company, we were always for sale, but we knew about it and it was okay. As time went by, our parent company kept saying how important we were to their organization, and as time went by I put my heart and sould into my job and my coworkers. We were a family. I didn't worry about being sold, we were IMPORTANT, but in the end we made them $240 million dollars they could use to further their "mission".

The company that purchased us, retained many employees as leased employees from our parent company. They also hired many people and paid those of us who stayed on as leased a nice premium for doing so. I decided I would stay on as a leased employee, who couldn't use a bit of extra money and I didn't want to compete with my friends who were out looking for the same two jobs.

The first 6 months were terrible. They operated in a manner so unlike our company, none of us could understand how they got anything done. Our company had a philosphy of respect and forgiveness. They did not, at least that is what I felt at the time. Now I might say things a little differently. They didn't know me, how could they? Yes I know, people told them that we were all good employess, but in some cases trust needs to be earned, not just handed out. Right or wrong, that is the way it was. It is better now, but it is still not the same.

It really has been a year long process, but On January 1, 2008, the name of my company was officially gone. Almost like we never existed. We have been merged into the new company, all the signs are gone and there is a for rent sign on our second building. The whole thing makes my tummy and heart hurt. Starting over is so hard. My bank account is bigger this year, but that didn't really make it easier. I can't even figure out how to answer my phone. I have said the same thing for the past 12 years. Maybe no one will call me for the next 6 months.

One of the hardest things is not seeing my friends everyday and sharing the dish every morning before the craziness set in. I miss the spontaneous trips to Noodles and quick target runs at lunch. There are still a few of my coworkers around that I get to share with, but not my sisters!

So wish me luck on my next adventure or even just finding my next adventure.

No comments: