Sunday, September 28, 2008

It was a very good day!

We started out the day at a family fun walk at the kids new school.  They had a dedication and bunch of activities.  We couldn't stay long as we had a busy day, but B did go over to the YMCA camp and climb the wall.  

Then we started our 3 hour drive to a birthday party.  Not just any birthday party, but a 90th birthday party.  

Does this woman look fabulous or what.



Her name is Eva and she is my step grandmother.  We share the same birthday and have always sent each other cards on our birthdays and Christmas.  We haven't seen each other since my grandfather's funeral over 10 years ago.  She looks the same.  In fact she looks the same as she always did.  We didn't see them a lot growing up, but I'll take a grandparent anyway I can get one.

I also got to spend some time with my step uncles, I guess you would call them.  One I hadn't seen since I was a kid.  It was one of those weird things we didn't really talk about.  Well it turns out Tony lives just 5 miles from us.  We decided we should get together, have a couple of beers and figure out our family history and what we have done for the last 35 years or so. 

I am so glad I went.  The kids kept asking on our way down there, if there was only going to be old people there.  Mostly that was the case.  There were too young girls there, they were grandchildren of my uncles.  2nd cousins, once removed.  Or something like that.  

Next we headed up the road to visit with friends.  We had fabulous food and met new friends. The kids had a great time and managed to trash the Cs basement.  They really wanted us to hang out longer and have s'mores with them, but I just couldn't do it.

I mean seriously, look at this campfire.




Yes, that is a Weber grill on top of a piece of plywood, on top of two cinder blocks.  

And I thought I was a redneck.




No comments: